tools of procrastination part 2

Friday, September 22, 2006

the kinkster

kinky's coming under fire from his opponents over things he's said in the past. what i love about him is that he doesn't back down or back step. he simply says that they're playing partisan games that are beneath him. he has a great response statement on his webpage, but i found an article in the back issues of texas monthly that i think really sums him up much better. an exerpt:

"In my bright college days we pretty much took for granted that Austin was far more progressive than the outlying provinces. Looking back, I’m not so sure that was entirely true. In the early sixties there was a place called the Plantation Restaurant at the corner of the Drag and what was then Nineteenth Street. It was open 24 hours, many of which were spent by me and my friends drinking endless cups of blue coffee and solving the problems of the world as we knew it—and I think that, at times, we very possibly knew the world better then than we know it now. One thing that didn’t really seem to register at the ol’ Plantation, however, was that, among the bikers, fraternity boys, and square-dance clubs, there were no black patrons. It took me awhile, but as a card-carrying member of Students for a Democratic Society, I finally lamped upon this inequity. With my fellow SDSers, we picketed night after night, at last forcing the restaurant to change its policies. Today the Plantation, which I both loved and protested against, is gone, and the street where it used to be is no longer known as Nineteenth Street. It is now called Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. In a world of shopping malls and glass towers, that, my friends, is real progress."

http://www.texasmonthly.com/mag/issues/2004-12-01/friedman.php

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home