tools of procrastination part 2

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

big baby

believe it or not, i used to be the sensitive kid when i was little. every time my parents turned around, i was bawling my eyes out over something. some kid would make a small comment and the waterworks would kick in like never before. i would have to guess that a lot of it came from being the baby for the first 8.5 years of my life. you inherently get a lot of attention as the youngest. everyone is always so concerned about you and what on earth is making this sweet angel upset. well that and i was a freakin adorable little kid (see profile picture).

and then, the little brother was born. my mom tells me that when i found out she was pregnant i actually asked her why i wasn't good enough...and so began the middle child syndrome. after james was born, nobody seemed to care as much if i was crying and suddenly it became "whining" (whatever that means). my older sister was tough with a go-get-em attitude and practically never partook in my childish antics. so, as time went on i became less and less sensitive. actually, that really isn't true; deep down i think i probably am the same person. i just started to express it outwardly less.

so now as an adult, i just have this really healthy build up of frustration every few months. recently with the moving and finishing my master's and not having a job, there's already been this nice base level of emotion, but lately a lot of the people i love most have done relatively small things that hurt me and tonight i exploded. tears flowed publicly like they haven't in quite a while and i was instantly returned to my childhood, wishing i was the baby so people found my emotion more appropriate.

but now, i can look forward to the move tomorrow (at 5 am by the way) and know that things WILL be better when i get to austin. i can already feel it.

3 Comments:

  • so i'm the oldest. whatever that does to me i don't know or understand.

    but for whatever reason, i never recognized the transition from "whats wrong with the baby" to stop "whining" - not with me, not with anyone else. um, until now. thanks for rocking my world, and bringing that to light. seriously.

    GOOD. LUCK. TOMORROW.

    oh now i get to visit you next time i'm in texas!!

    By Blogger jasembera, at 10:03 PM  

  • i think it was my 19th or 20th birthday that i had a similar meltdown. the thing that set it off was the my sister wasn't coming to my birthday dinner and i just felt so unloved and couldn't handle it. obviously, it was just a culmination of months of things, but that was it and i could barely move i was so upset. over my sister not coming to dinner once. seriously?

    but you've got a big thing ahead of you and a new town to conquer. good luck!

    By Blogger regan, at 4:40 AM  

  • you have amazing insight into how our childhoods shape us into who we are, pretty lady. well done.

    CONGRATS on moving to Austin!! i'm confident i shall see your beaming face sooooon!!!!!!!!!

    love you toots.

    By Blogger Diane, at 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home