tools of procrastination part 2

Monday, October 23, 2006

smiley life

after a lovely visit by my sister, callie, the not-so-tiny-anymore-but-oh-so-in-her-terrible-twos baby kylie, jen, diane (girls i love you and our bimonthly 2 hour talks) and clay, i've realized something wonderful: i am quite content with my life right now. i can happily say that things in my life are just how i want them to be (with very few exceptions).

i live in a wonderful apartment in the best part of town with an amazing roommate. everything i want to experience in austin is practically within walking distance of my home.

i have a job that means something to me and coworkers i enjoy being with inside and outside of work. i've had the opportunity to experience some eye opening things through those people.

i lead a relatively stress-free life with no really pressing obligations when i come home from work (quite different from last year). although i do miss teaching, it is nice to have so much freedom with my evenings.

i'm part of the most inspiring church i've ever attended. i volunteer with the youth group there and am really happy to have "kids" again. it's extremely diverse in age, race, socio-economic status, making it a very different experience from growing up in a rich, white episcopalian church. the priests and the parishioners are so incredibly focused on helping the poorest, most down-trodden in this world, which is really what christiantiy is all about. mostly, it's a place where i feel myself growing and becoming a better person while being part of something so much bigger than myself.

and of course, i'm lucky enough to call some of the most amazing people on this earth my friends and family.

all of these things bring a smile to my face every morning when i wake up and every evening when i lie in bed. life is good, yes it is.

2 Comments:

  • Where are you going to church now?

    I'm kinda looking for a new place that's more of a challenge and less empowering of the suburban lifestyle.

    Email is matt dot otis at gmail dot com.

    Thanks.

    By Blogger Otis, at 1:16 PM  

  • :)

    seriously.

    By Blogger jasembera, at 4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home