tools of procrastination part 2

Sunday, June 19, 2005

JRM part I


000_0039
Originally uploaded by marmahan.

in honor of this wonderful man on father's day, i'd like to share a story. *

in 1997, i had just entered the 10th grade and had simultaneously decided to become a poser stoner. all my clothes were purchased at thrift stores (little league shirts and flip flops abounded). college radio was all i would listen to and so when i heard that reel big fish was coming to lubbock, i had to go.

we thought the show was 18 and up, so my dad agreed to tag along to get us in. the one condition: he would stay out of sight on the patio all night. he thought it would be brilliant for him to wear his "real big fish" shirt, a lovely trout print. mortification. sighs. rolling eyes.

as soon as we arrived at the concert, my friend amy and i headed inside and dad found a spot outside. midway through the concert, i needed money for a shirt and made the trek outside to request funds.

i was shocked as i walked out on the patio only to find my dad encircled by REAL stoners. we're talking dog collars and green hair. the kind of people who saw me for the fraud that i was were talking to my dad. and not just casual chit-chat, they were baring their souls to him. he just sat there nonchalantly, smoking his cigar and doling out advice.

my father is, and always has been, about 10.6 times cooler than i am.

*part of an on-going series in anticipation of the celebration of 50 years of coolness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home