tools of procrastination part 2

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

when i grow up

so many people look at their parents and think "dear LORD do not let me end up like that." for me, the process is a little different - i'm looking at 40, 50 and 60-something year old english teachers thinking "i'll kill myself if i end up that bitter and angry." so yeah, my department isn't filled with the most upbeat people. i think some of them actually despise the kids they teach. i, on the other hand, am still full of youthful enthusiasm and naive optimism. tonight while i was talking over my plans for the year with my mom i began to doubt myself. maybe i'm expecting entirely too much from 10th graders, i mean they are only 15 years old. they have things like puberty and the opposite sex and teenage angst to contend with. how high of a priority will ms. mahan's 3rd period english class be?

but then, mom reiterated something i firmly believe. i HAVE to have high expectations of my students. it is imperative that i walk into that classroom tuesday morning anticipating intelligent, capable and lovable students. sure, some of them will be difficult or have difficulty with the material, but that's something that will be dealt with when it arises. if i walk in expecting them to know nothing and be disrespectful, then they will lower themselves to meet that expectation. on the other hand, if i begin the school year armed with my passion for my subject and the belief that all of my kids are capable human beings worthy of my respect, then most of them will rise to meet me. so yes, my class will be challenging and they will have to apply themselves to get an A.

these kids have had too many people doubt them and write them off as incompetent. i refuse to add myself to that list.

on a lighter note, these are actual quotes from my syllabus. man, i sound like an adult.

"All work completed in class must be legible – if I cannot read it, I will not grade it."

"Students are expected to be in their seats and ready to work when the bell rings."

"If you are absent, YOU are responsible for contacting me about what you missed."

"In this class we will be exploring a variety of literature from around the world. I hope that you will find the topics engaging and applicable to your lives. We will also be examining language as a function of culture and meaning while developing our own understanding through writing. Prepare yourself to consider multiple perspectives and to discover an exciting world filled with meaningful literature. I look forward to learning and growing together this year!"

and the kicker.....
"Each student will be allowed 3 passes per semester. You may use these at your discretion, but know that they may be revoked if abuse occurs (i.e. taking 10 minutes to go to the bathroom)."


oh, and can i say that i have about 2.4 billion things to do before tuesday. wish me luck.

2 Comments:

  • This is yet another reason why you should have high expectations of your students.

    Remember: Everybody's favorite teacher when they think back was the one that cared about them and made them learn more than they thought possible.

    By Blogger Otis, at 9:15 AM  

  • "...language as a function of culture and meaning..."

    Whoa! Slow down professor. Have they even learned what a mathematical function is?

    By Blogger Michael Ward, at 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home