tools of procrastination part 2

Monday, April 18, 2005

the fallacy of the da vinci code

or why i dislike a book i've never read.

i normally reserve my judgment for things - books, movies, people, food - until i've actually tried them for myself. but since i do not intend to ever read this book, i'm gonna have to go ahead and semi-blindly criticize it. everybody LOVES this book, it's their new favorite! it's such a page turner and just a really good story. they promise that if i could just ignore the entire premise of the story (you know, the outrageous conspiracy theories about my church) then i would love it too. sweet, let me simply cast aside my sense of reality and fully embrace this marvelous tale.

i'm kidding of course, i take criticism with immeasurable grace. and really, part of the reason i won't read it is just because everybody loves it. i tend to enjoy being difficult like that. so if dan brown wants to write a novel with an exciting plot that is full of half truths, that's fine.

my problem is that people think it's reality. once and for all: it is a piece of fiction. you do not need a dateline special or a half-hour documentary on the history channel to explain that he made this up. he's a writer. of fiction. that means his stories aren't true. fiction=pretend. nonfiction=reality. there's a difference and it's an important one.

stepping off the soapbox and tucking it nicely under my bed......for now.

1 Comments:

  • i totally agree with you. and i, will never read this book either.

    it is reallly sad people value this kind of thing as 'truth'. this was also my problem with the whole 'left behind' series, which i did actually read. except for the last one.

    B-I-B-L-E...that's the book for me...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home